Friday 28 October 2011

Not as Halloween themed as it first appears

On the spur of the moment I decided to arrange a trip to my favourite pub, The Red Lion for an evening meal and, by a happy coincidence, I was also not the designated driver which makes a nice change.

Settling down for a meal with the smell of wood smoke from the fires I fancied something stout-ish, and this is what I found.

Batemans Salem Porter - 4.7%
Batemans Salem Porter.

Another dark porter though you can't quite tell from the photo that it's not completely black when backlit.  Sipping this down with truly great steak was wonderful.  It complimented the meat with a slight taste of burnt sugar.

By the time dinner was over, and it was time for a second round of drinks, the other interesting looking beer had been drunk dry by thirsty bar patrons.  I decided to go for a second pint which I regret just a little.

Without the flavours of the food it wasn't as nice an experience.  The after taste, while not terribly bitter, I could have done without, and being as thick a drink as it is made finishing the second on a full stomach a chore.

No comments:

Post a Comment